Friday, July 7, 2017

Sunny Day & a Sesame Street Dress

I normally don't care for novelty prints or character clothing, and was determined to keep characters off the cub's clothes for as long as possible (and maybe even try to compromise with her later to only have them on pajamas). However, we planned a trip to take our Sesame Street-loving girl to Sesame Place, and I couldn't help but start thinking about a Sesame Street dress. None of the fabric I saw really grabbed me though, and then I started thinking about using a sheet, but had a hard time picturing it. Then someone posted a dress in one of the sewing groups I'm in on Facebook using the exact sheet I had been looking at, and I loved it. (I can't find her shop name now, but it was a custom order she did for a client.)

So forward I went, and made my first character dress. The cub loves it and asks to wear it all the time. She's really upset if I have to tell her it is dirty.

I used the geranium pattern, used the collar from the expansion pack but extended it into a long sailor-ish collar (I made the modification using the Oliver + S building block dress book). I added piping at the waist. I made the skirt a little fuller to fit more characters on, but sort of wish I hadn't because they get a little lost in the fullness.

It was absolutely perfect for our trip to Sesame Place, and people were commenting on it all day long. I thought it was so clever until one woman told me she has those sheets, then I felt a little silly (until Jeff pointed out that just means she has super old sheets and needs new ones).

A few pictures Lots of pictures from our day at Sesame Place, because it really was so much fun. The cub was terrified of Cookie Monster (told me "Cookie Monster is SO BIG") but did a little better with Elmo and Abby, although she still wouldn't get too close!















She looks apprehensive here, but it was like her fourth time on the ride and if you know her, this bored look is her normal when going on rides or anything thrilling.

Trying to convince us she needed everything in the gift shop. (We bought nothing, sorry kid.)

Completely worn out.


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great time for all of you! Also,it seems like you sew a dress,
    then you have a life experience to go with it. So,(sew).................will
    you sew me a dress about Ireland? LOL.
    Mom F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say, I love, love, love the dress...
    and Annika, Jeff, and you!
    Mom F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun!! I feel the same way about character clothes but this is obviously an exception! Love the geranium with the fuller skirt!

    ReplyDelete