Sunday, June 25, 2017

A London Nightgown

I used the London dress pattern (free from Violette Field Threads) to make the cub a nightgown. To be honest, I'm not great at sewing with knits. I made this situation worse for myself by buying really cheap knit fabric from Walmart ($1.50/yard) and despite this nightgown costing maybe $2 total, I regretted it. The cheap fabric can be such a headache to sew with!

Adjustments I made: omitted the ties at the shoulders because I didn't want a bunch of ties up near her neck while sleeping and took out a little bit of the fullness in the skirt.

 She really likes it. In fact she insisted on wearing it to the bank yesterday, and it looked really cute paired with her sandals and a bow in her hair. Even after taking out some of the fullness in the skirt this has such a huge sweep and is great for twirling! That bottom ruffle is cute but was way too much work for a nightgown. I also tried to do a narrow hem on the ruffle and...let's say either it was a dumb idea or I just still need a lot of practice working with that foot.

 I do plan to eventually try this pattern again in woven fabric, and I can actually see myself maybe trying it again in a better quality knit, too. Because it really is a cute nightgown.




She's been less and less cooperative for pictures lately, which gets us gems like this -

At least you can see the back here (which is exactly the same as the front).
SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. I feel your frustration. Equipment or fabric problems makes you want to quit!
    But, don't. Your uncooperative model and nightgown are still adorable.
    I Love them. Mom F.

    ReplyDelete